Monday, March 4, 2013

Just Ask

We've all heard the saying "Tell the people you love that you love them, because you never know when they will be taken from you and you won't be able to tell them any more". I think the same should be said for people that you just want to be friends with. Twice now, I have known people in my life that have passed away before I could let them know that I wanted to be their friend. I would see them post on the statuses of mutual friends on Facebook, and when I would see them in person we would always chat pleasantly, and I would often think "I should just send a friend request. We know a lot of the same people, we always say 'hi' when we see each other, I should just add her." And then, before I finally do it, the opportunity is forever lost. 

What held me back? Was I just afraid that they would say no? Maybe. The fear of rejection can be pretty powerful, even over a casual friendship. Maybe I was just too shy? Not likely. I remember when I was very young, probably not even in school yet, and whenever someone new would move in on our street I would go up to the door and ask if they had any kids my age that I could play with. Maybe I was afraid that I would get to know them more and not like what I found, and I would have to deal with that down the road. Possible. Whatever the reason, I don't think it was good enough.

If they didn't accept my friend request, so what? I am a big girl now, and I can handle it. Lord knows I have had my feelings hurt before, and I think I have learned to deal with it pretty well. If I found that I really didn't like them the more that I knew them, well, that's part of life, too. Then again, if I was feeling so strongly that I should add them in the first place, chances are that this wouldn't happen. I am generally a pretty good judge of character and personality, at least I like to think so, so if it even gets to the point of me thinking I would like to be friends, odds are that this problem would never even come up.

I guess what I am trying to say is, I think I need to stop hesitating over that "send friend request" button and just do it. Instead of caving in to my my own insecurities, I should be reaching out and letting people know that I think they are worth knowing. Who knows, maybe someone I reach out to will be at a point in their lives where they just need someone to talk to, and I can offer that, along with a nice cup of tea. And maybe some chocolate.

No comments:

Post a Comment