Friday, March 4, 2011

My Ten Year Old Philosopher (an old Facebook note)

Here is one from a little over 2 years ago.



My Ten Year Old Philosopher

by Gretchen Hall on Monday, February 9, 2009 at 12:51am
Sometimes my ten year old son amazes me. All of my children are awesome (of course), but Tommy just seems to have this amazing insight into life at times. Yesterday he served at the Saturday evening Mass at our parish. We left a little early so we had time to go to confession beforehand, and as we were pulling in to the parking lot the kids asked me how long had it been since they last went. I told them I couldn't remember for certain, but that I think it was 2 or 3 weeks. Catie (the 12 year old) said, "Why do we need to go again? It hasn't been that long." I then talked about how each time we go, we get more Grace to help us be good, etc. Tommy follows that up with, "Besides, you never know when you are going to die. You might as well always try to have your soul clean." WOW.

Then this morning I got up to the lovely tones of Tommy and Monica (almost 7 yrs) arguing. The topic of "discussion" had been Tommy trying to get Monica to cheer up about something, I don't even know what. He gave her some advice, and she didn't want him to talk to her. At all. I asked what he said and he replied: " All I said was that life is kind of like a sandwich. Sometimes when you are making it, you get jam on the counter; but all you need to do is clean it up and then it is ok." This, and the above, from a ten year old boy! I guess this is what happens when you can't pick a favorite St. Thomas, and mentally name him after both Aquinas and More. Our parish is also St. Thomas Aquinas, for those who didn't know...

No comments:

Post a Comment